MindGenius: Projects – Plan For Success
Written by MindGenius
It’s likely that most of us have heard the phrase “poor planning = poor performance” or “fail to plan – plan to fail” and other variations on the same theme.
What it all boils down to is that the success of any plan, process, initiative, project, etc, is usually determined by the quality of the planning process.
This is particularly true and vitally important in terms of Projects.
I’m sure you’ll agree that, amongst other aspects, the up-front planning stage of a project (or a series of related tasks e.g. arising out of a meeting) the “Why?” “What?” “Who?” “When?” and “How?” of the initial planning stage, need be clearly identified, effectively captured, clearly understood and well communicated.
In our own experience over a number of years working with clients and also studying research on Project Management, there is much evidence to prove that projects fail in many cases because of weakness or failure in the early planning process. The failures are mainly due to:
- Ideas, input and knowledge are not being effectively captured
- Then, more importantly, not effectively utilised
- Loss of momentum between brainstorming sessions, meetings, etc and action
- Lack of suitable tools for capturing project requirements and creating breakdown structures (WBS)
- Combined with lack of suitable tools for visualizing project requirements
The weaknesses or failures in the planning process usually mean, and result in…
- Project requirements are not visualised properly or thoroughly
- Crucial aspects of the project are missed
- The Project flow is disrupted or broken
- The effective deployment and execution of the project is at risk
- Time-wasting and unnecessary fire-fighting is increased
- Expensive delays in time and mismanaged resources
- Negative knock-on effects for staff, the business – and customers!
and much more….
The Map below depicts one of our views on “planning for success” in project work and project management in general.
I am confident that, as MindGenius users you are increasing your chances of project success through effective deployment and use of MindGenius – not only at the critical front-end, but through the whole project lifecycle.
In terms of project plans, MindGenius provides a clear, visual and effective:
- Quick capture of information during project brainstorming sessions and meetings
- Alternative to whiteboards, flipcharts and post-its
- Visualization of project scope, structure and WBS, providing clarity
- Process for efficient requirements gathering, identifying project risks and problem-solving
- Automatic creation of Gantt charts from your maps, no need for re-typing or export
- Filtering and comprehensive reports to monitor and manage project tasks and stages through to successful delivery
For more information on MindGenius, click here. Alternatively, call QBS Sales at 08456 580 580