15 software blogs worth visiting
Passionate about software is a very new blog. We don’t claim to be first in the blogosphere. There are so many blogs out there that it’s easy to become a victim of a widely spreading disease called communication overload. So why should you care? Well, blog posts are an invitation for discussion. They let you learn from the author and this will help you in your day to day experiences. Below I have compiled a list of blogs belonging to the publishers with which we have close relationships.
If you purchased their software from QBS, make sure you visit those blogs regularly. My favourite method of “staying in touch” is RSS subscription; it allows me to choose the right time to catch up without exposing my inbox to additional emails.
Here is my list of 15 software blogs worth visiting regularly:
1. GFI blog – http://www.gfi.com/blog/ is a great place to visit if you are an IT professional. It’s well written and offers wide range of posts centred on system administration. It gives great insight into GFI products. Well done GFI. I am really impressed.
2. Kerio blog – http://www.kerio.com/blog – is a place you can’t miss if you are fan of their technology.
3. GlobalSCAPE blog – http://blog.globalscape.com/ offers insights into ways to securely exchange confidential information.
4. Sophos blog – http://nakedsecurity.sophos.com/ has been voted “Best IT Security Blog” by Computer Weekly in November 2010. The blog offers news, opinions and advice on computer security issues and the latest internet threats.
5. Flexera blog – http://blogs.flexerasoftware.com/InstallTalk/ discusses the best practices and trends in software Installation Development. It’s one of the three blogs Flexera runs, the other two being on Enterprise License Optimization http://blogs.flexerasoftware.com/ELO/ and on Entitlement & Compliance Management http://blogs.flexerasoftware.com/ECM/
6. Paessler blog – Dirk Paessler’s Network Monitoring Insights http://www.paessler.com/blog is written by Paessler CEO and will be useful for many PRTG fans out there.
7. Techsmith blog – The Visual Lounge http://visuallounge.techsmith.com/ is a unique place full of screencasts and videos posted by Techsmith customers. It’s also a great place to meet people “responsible” for Camtasia and SnagIt.
8. The Webspy blog http://www.webspy.com/blogs/ is written for all Webspy users out there. A place where they can discover all the little tricks on how to use this great product.
9. Microsoft blogs – yes that’s right, the software giant from Redmond is also blogging. Actually Microsoft employees run so many blogs that it would be impossible to mention all of them here. For more information visit: http://www.microsoft.com/communities/blogs/portalhome.mspx
The two worthy of particular attention are:
http://blogs.msdn.com/b/visualstudio/ – for all Microsoft Developers and
http://blogs.technet.com/b/exchange/ – for Exchange Administrators
10. Intel blogs can be found here http://software.intel.com/en-us/blogs/ and are an important source of the latest information about Intel software product range.
11. Embarcadero blogs – a list of 38 blogs talking about embarcadero tools can be found here: http://blogs.embarcadero.com/. I am sure you can find some interesting information about their software there.
12. Quest blog – http://blogs.inside.quest.com/provision/ is the official blog of the Quest Desktop Virtualization Group, the group within Quest that builds Quest vWorkspace.
13. Bluebeam blog – The PDF Insider http://pdfinsider.com/ is a place where Bluebeam publishes the latest news and information about PDF Revu.
14. The Wolfram blog, http://blog.wolfram.com/, will give you access to the latest news and ideas from the Wolfram Research team.
15. ESET blog – http://blog.eset.com/ provides the latest information about internet threats as well as opinions from the ESET team.
What are the blogs you subscribe to? Please leave a comment and let me know.